SHIN-DC to Present Jewish Heritage of Turkey at Annual Turkish Festival
Sun, September 24, 11AM – 7PM
The Turkish festival is fun for the entire family: ◗ Folk Dancing Performances ◗ Turkish Arts and Crafts Vendors ◗ Kids' Games, Arts & Crafts ◗ Turkish Coffeehouse and Fortunes ◗ Cultural Activities.
SHIN-DC has worked with organizer American Turkish Association of Washington DC (ATADC) on the following Turkish Sephardic entertainment & activities:
Visit our interactive Sephardic cultural tent
- 12PM Susan Barocas, food writer & chef to share recipes & give a talk: ‘From Spain to the Ottoman Empire—Two Great Cuisines Brought Together by Turkey's Jews’
- Ladino culture & language games
- Write your name in Solitreo (Ladino script)
- Tavla (backgammon) & Avla (Ladino for "shmooze")
- Ladino music (play list from Ladino radio personality Simone Salmón)
- Order a SIGNED copy of Stella’s Sephardic Table: Jewish family recipes from the Mediterranean island of Rhodes by Stella Cohen. Cost: $40 (retails for $50 unsigned). SHIN-DC to donate 10% of each sale to Turkish Educational Foundation, a 501(c)(3) dedicated to educating children-in-need in Turkey.
Also enjoy the entertainment @ the Festival Stage
- 1PM SHIN-DC friend and mentor Dr. Judith Cohen to perform Turkish/Ladino music with Greek master oudist Spyros Pilios Koliavasilis.
- 3:15PM SHIN-DC's Community Outreach Fellow Valeriya Nakshun to perform some traditional dances with the Silk Road Dance Company.
Free (no registration required)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (including inquiries to volunteer at the Festival or our booth)
Location: Pennsylvania Ave NW between 12 & 14 Streets